Upgrade Wilson fork to Marlin 1.1?


#21

@nondem I will investigate, thank’s for the head’s-up


#22

It is very cool of you to take your time do this.
Just for added info…I tried w/version 1.6.x of Arduino studio and also the latest version 1.8.1.
I also blindly tried leaving the Pragma statement in with different numbers.


#23

I got it to work with the full graphics controller by changing the lines 75-77 in ultralcd_st7920_u8glib_rrd.h to slightly longer delays:

#define CPU_ST7920_DELAY_1 DELAY_2_NOP
#define CPU_ST7920_DELAY_2 DELAY_2_NOP
#define CPU_ST7920_DELAY_3 DELAY_3_NOP

I am not sure why those aren’t the defaults for that option, so I don’t know if I should submit that as a bug fix but I probably will since we’re not doing anything unusual other than choosing REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER in our configuration.

I did not have to comment out the #pragma, by the way.


Issues with adapting PICA firmware [SOLVED]
#24

Works fine now. Thanks again!
The upgrade also reversed all the axis except the X.
I flipped the plugs for Z/Y over and it Homes/Bedlevels fine now.

I see the 9 point bed-level is default now too…along with a cleaner looking LCD screen.


#25

Just for clarity. Are the files in the RCBugfix-mjrice branch of Marlin all that is needed to build the firmware or are they just the files that have been modified? Also. Is there a way to download all of the files in one go or do you have to dowload them individually?


#26

The files in my branch are all of the files that you need (the entire marlin project). I believe if you choose “download zip” from the same page where you choose the branch that it will give you all the files at once.


#27

Just an FYI - I’m doing a long print and the new firmware seems to be doing fine so far. I did notice the LCD knob resolution is way different - at least on the “Full Graphic” LCD controller. The number of steps a single click does sometimes seems the be way out of proportion. I had a little trouble getting the Z offset set to the hundredth of a mm of where I wanted it. Same with setting the temp…some part of the range is like a click per degree and then further up(or down) the range - one click does 50 degrees.
I dunno if that is really a problem or if it is - is the source the newer Marlin or the Wilson merge?


#28

Yeah, that’s in some other code that I didn’t change, I noticed that too on mine.


#29

I’ve noticed that Marlin has an option to drive two steppers on one axis (as per the Wilson II Z-axis) from different stepper drivers. If you select this option it uses the next available extruder driver for the second motor. Has anyone used this or do you all wire both motors to one driver?


#30

I’d imagine that would make it quite hard to get/keep both motors in sync? You’d have to be very precise setting up vref on the drivers, as a slight difference means different torque between the two. Not sure if this would lead to sync issues tho?


#31

I had the same problem. If you look at Configuration.h under LCD and SD support you will see these lines

//#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 1

//
// Use this option to override the number of step signals required to
// move between next/prev menu items.
//
//#define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 5

I changed it by un commenting the Encoder lines

#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 1

//
// Use this option to override the number of step signals required to
// move between next/prev menu items.
//
#define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 4

I then changed the ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM to 4 and it worked fine for me.


#32

Yes, I’m doing that with the MKS Base. I have one Z motor on E1 via configuration_adv.h setting. I was at first concerned about the motor sync but things seem fine.


#33

That’s great @jarrettv. I went for the highest torque stepper motors I could get in the NEMA17 and Wilson II frame size and I was concerned that running two motors from one driver would exceed the DRV8825 driver current capability.


#34

Should we start a new thread with problems we are encountering with 1.1? upgraded, and the prints are looking awsome. but problems with the homing are showing up. would like to get information out so people smarter than i am can take a look at it, and make sure its not something i am doing causing the problems. but not wanting to fill up a single thread with junk.


#35

Are your customization’s of the LCD in the new version?


#36

What happened to the Original Wilson II Firmware I can’t seem to find it, all I see is the Marlin 1.1.0-RCBugFix?

So I didn’t read back far enough. Explains why people are going to be asking 1 million questions about getting their printer working on a generic firmware with nothing pre configured.


#37

@racreel Not yet but I’m working on that next.


#38

That’ll be cool! Thanks!!


Location for latest firmware
#39

Following the failure of the heatbed screw terminals on my RAMPS board I ordered a PICA and loaded the RCBugFix-mjrice branch of of Marlin 1.1. Pretty nice upgrade in both hardware and software. It went really well, no surprises in the installation of either to my kit Wilson II.

Thanks @mjrice and everyone that’s contributed to this fork.


#40

I got around to merging the changes from Marlin branches “RC”, “RCBugfix”, Marty’s fork and jarretv’s configuration file. Everything was committed to a “WilsonII” branch again. This has been working well for me so far.
https://github.com/robbforce/Marlin/tree/WilsonII