What is going on with my Y axis?


#1

Hi,

I built my Wilson-II, super nice kit, and very happy.

Something is going on between auto-home and bed-leveling. My bed is ending up full +y HIT, prints are trying to start off the front edge of the bed glass…

I don’t know if the code is thinking the bed is someplace it’s not, due to misinformation/assumption about revision.

I have verified steppers all work. +x 1mm moves to the right. +y 1mm moves bed away from me toward the rear. +z moves up.

All switches report HIT when tripped.

All fans, extruder etc. work properly.

Any idea? Should I post video?


#2

A positive move on Y should move it away from the end stop, i.e. towards you. you might have it wired backards (or configured backwards in the fw).


#3

Hi, Squid.

The behavior is WORSE in that regard. It jumps teeth at full extension, and tries to press the extruder into the hotbed wiring.


#4

Hi, team,

I found Marty’s fork of Marlin on Github, and see this in configuration.h:
// Invert the stepper direction. Change (or reverse the motor connector) if an axis goes the wrong way.
#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false

which matches the orientation of my stepper connectors on the PICA. And I wonder if this is the cause of the weird autolevel behavior - some assumption in the autolevel routine (which I have not yet looked at) assumes ‘false’.

Can someone point me to a link on build instructions for Marlin? I’m hoping someone can save me an hour or two search when I get home from work today. I have gcc/Eclipse, Atmel Studio, and the Arduino Software on various machines.

TIA!

Edit: answering part of my own question: http://reprap.org/wiki/Marlin


#5

Here’s a crappy iPhone vid of the issue.

First, I show y-motor direction, then second, autohome. Then things get weird on the autobedlevel. I shut it off because it’s pressing into the glass, and depressed the springs fully.

Then you can see my right sock. :flushed:


#6

OK - I’ve failed to read the hex Marty shipped on the arduino Mega 2560 clone using the usb.

I did succeed in reading/backing up the original by using a USBasp programmer and the ISP pins on the board, so we’re in business.

Will report back later what tweaking firmware does… wish me luck :slight_smile:


#7

well, things went south.

I tried to flip the #define INVERT_Y_DIR true

The LCD does not display.

I tried to reprogram Marty’s .hex file.

The LCD does not display.

I’ve tried with usbasp and arduino -cwired. Programmed for a Arduino/Genuino Mega 2560, usb port (solved that at least).

Help?


#8

Sorry for the confusion in private chat… I didn’t realize the Github was only showing the latest version on Marlin.

There is nothing pre configured in the latest version. you have to set everything up from scatch. I suggest you go to the original version version till someone makes a writeup of all the changes needed to give you a 100% working Wilson.

You have 2 options. 1 trailblaze you way through the new latest and get it to work. or 2 re flash your PICA with the original mostly pre configured… make the few changes like what board you are using etc and do some printing.


#9

Thank you! I’m back to the starting point with working firmware (except the bed-leveling).

I will try tweaking things.